A New Window to the Canal, enjoy your visit . . .
The Miraflores Visitors Center (CVM) is an expression of the permanent commitment of the Panama Canal Authority to strengthen the public’s knowledge of the Canal.
Located on the east side of the Miraflores Locks, the CVM allows the visitor to observe transiting vessels from a distance of only a few meters and learn first hand about the various operations of the Panama Canal, the history of its construction, its participation in the world markets, and the importance of its watershed.
Facilties and Services
Four exhibition halls constitute the heart of the CVM. The exhibitions include historic pieces, interactive modules, video presentations, models of the Panama Canal, and objects used in Canal operations.
- The History Hall portrays the background, technological innovations, and sanitary initiatives that went hand in hand with the construction of the Canal. This exhibition hall honors the hundreds of men and women who made this achievement possible.
- The Hall of Water: Source of Life emphasizes the importance of water, conservation of the environment and biodiversity, protection of the Canal Watershed, and the ACP’s commitment to the sustainable management of this resource and the interoceanic region.
- The Canal in Action depicts in an amusing manner how the Canal operates and allows us the experience of being inside a navigation simulator and one of the lock culverts. A virtual ocean-to-ocean transit is also made possible through the use of a topographical model. This exhibition showcases Canal improvement, modernization, and maintenance projects.
- The Canal in the World provides information on the importance of the Canal to world trade; describes the trade routes it serves; and identifies its main users, the various types of vessels that transit the waterway, and the commodities they carry. In addition, it presents an overview of studies conducted in order to guarantee the future competitiveness of the Canal and the benefits to the Republic of Panama.
- From Monday to Sunday, holidays included
- Ticket Office 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Exhibition halls, snack bars and gift shop 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Restaurant 12:00 p.m. - 11:30 p.m.
For additional information on how to schedule your next visit to the Panama Canal, please call (507) 276-8325 or (507) 276-8449, send a fax to (507) 276-8469, or contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.